Saturday, November 06, 2004

Hang in there

This is a little unusual for me. This post is actually an extended comment to something written on another site; (Kiki Takes On Life.)

I read this post earlier, but I haven't been at my computer as much lately, so I apologize for not addressing this sooner. Also, I really needed to take time to write this comment.

And, I do feel a need to say something. I was touched by your words, Kiki. As a Father it is heartbreaking to think about any child suffering abuse. There is no excuse for anybody to bring harm to a child. After all, the wounds of childhood are always the lasts to heal, and we carry the scars with us always. Now, while I would never wish hardship on anyone; I do believe that the struggles we face play a major part in who we are. How we react to these challenges defines our character, for good or bad.

I mean this with all sincerity when I say; please don’t worry that the only people you can relate to are those who like yourself have suffered abuse. However I urge you to be cautious because too many times in life we set our own limitation. In my old education classes we called this a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you believe something for long enough, whether it is right or wrong, you can make it your reality.

I know I’m standing out here in left field, only knowing you by what I read in your blog, but I would like to make an untrained observation from the heart. I really believe that it is not tragedy that connects or draws you to these people. It is rather the strength of survivorship. The connection you feel with these others might be the depth of character shared by those who have had to deal with suffering, or the harsh challenges of life. The very fact that you continue to live and thrive beyond your own scars of abuse proves you have a strength that many others pray for.

There will always be the fortunate few who have not had to deal with the horrors that life can throw at them. I find, however, that as we get older, it becomes increasingly harder to duck the struggles of this world. There will be illness, hardship, and death. No one is immune. It is how we deal with these forces of nature that will shape our character. The more we can overcome, the more we can bend in the wind, the more we understand what is truly important to us, then, we may find a strength and determination we never knew we had.


I apologize if it appears I’ve stuck my nose where it doesn’t belong, my words are not intended to offend, but rather let you know you're not alone. Whether you ever know it or not, your words will serve as an inspiration to someone out there. It is as you once told me; "this is the nature of the blogging community".


Always keep the Faith!




1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Believe it or not, there are times when I celebrate all that I've been through... As a result of those experiences I can better identify with people - I understand their anger, their pain, their struggles - Because they are mine as well. If the scars that I bear serve to help even one person heal, it was all worth it.

Thank you for your post.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home