Monday, October 04, 2004

I promise to use my powers for good!

You won’t believe what I did Friday.

Go ahead, guess!

No, that’s not it.

OK, I’ll spill it, but first let me tell you that there are very few that reach positions of truly great power. There are CEOs, and heads of state, presidents and potentates. On Friday I briefly joined the ranks of the truly powerful. Yes, I was a Substitutes Gym Teacher. (No autographs please). Armed with a full rack of basketballs, and a regulation coach’s whistle I organized group calisthenics, and oversaw multiple games of "Elimination".

By the way, the whistle DOES WORK!

One good blast and you have total silence from fifty noisy forth graders for at least five seconds. So you better work quick. Anyway, all kidding aside it felt kind of good to be back in a school setting. The kids really crack me up. It reminded my why I wanted to go into teaching all those years ago.

After loosing my job I applied for teaching positions with several nearby school districts, but it was too late in the summer, and the positions I’m certified in were already filled. (Yes, a decade ago I was going to be an English Teacher) I’m certified in Secondary English. Way back when I went through the system, in Texas, when you got your certification it was for life. You didn’t have to recertify like you do now.

Last week I received a call from one of the nearby small town intermediate schools asking if I would substitute. I had filled out an application after my last lay off prior to this one. But last week, out of the blue they gave me a call. There I was, after more than ten years, in front of a class again. It was exciting and terrifying all at one time.

Who know what this all may turn into. Maybe nothing, but in the past few months I find myself looking for positives in whatever situation I encounter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home