Sunday, September 19, 2004

What goes up.........

This past Friday night was one of those precious, truly great nights. It was on of those occasions when a dad supprises himself as well as those around him.

We had planned a big night out. My in-laws were in town for Grandparents day at my older girl’s elementary school, and Nana and Papaw were taking everyone out to any exotic restaurant we desired. Being the worldly conisuries we are there was but one choice. The Purple Cow. So it was off to Plano. We had never been to this resturant, but years of PBS watching had told us they were big supporters of the arts, such as Barney, Arthur, and the Teletubies.
I can personally testify that it was a wise decision. May I recommend their bacon cheeseburger, Onion rings, and TRIPPLE TREAT CHOCOLATE SHAKE. Oh, I did have an ice water with lemon, (just for balance.)


On the way back home we took Nana and Papaw by one of the greatest achievements of mankind, the StoneBriar Mall in Frisco. Once inside, naturally we split up. Mom and Nana took "short round" to look at girly stuff and Papaw and I took the older girls to check out
Galyans sports. Now it wasn’t a Bass Pro, but it was still very nice. The best part was a 48-foot rock-climbing wall. Being a Friday night there were a few people trying it out. Most were young, slim and knew what they were doing. This particular wall had three climbing paths, beginner, intermediate, and "you’ve got to be @*#% kidding me".

After watching a few kids climb the beginner side, the girls wanted to try. I could tell it was safe and well supervise so I let them do it. I’m a good dad that way. I am proud to say they both climbed higher than I expected, about 10 to 15 feet. They both got a big round of applause from Papaw and me. Of course afterwards that’s when it started,
"Daddy, are you going to try?"
"No, dear there are too many in line"
"Daddy, I only see two people."
A little while later Mom and Nana showed up pushing "short round" in the stroller. They were exited to hear about the "Big girls’ climb. Then My dear sweet wife pops off, "so are you going to try it?" What was else could I do. My honor and my status of cool dad were at stake here. After all, in a few years my kids will be paying me not to try stuff like this and embarrass them.
As I was putting on the harness my wife and love of my life calls out, "be sure they don’t have a weight limit."

Ha, Ha.

Very funny.

(The guy helping me quietly assured me the rope would hold up to 900lbs, so I was just under.)

So, harness on, I start hauling my out of shape, 38 year old, 220 pound butt up the intermediate side of this 48 foot wall, all for the admiration of my kids and the amusement of the crowd that had gathered to see the spectacle. I did really good the first 15 feet, then I started to notice a little thing called gravity, and how it preferred I get back down. At about 30 feet my arms and thighs were burning like they were on fire, but I kept on climbing. In all I made it with in about 6 or 7 feet from the top when my fingers and fore arms completely gave out causing me to slip and almost lose my footing. At that point it occurred to me that anyone in my condition should not have loaded up on meat, dairy, and fried foods just an hour before attempting such a feat. It killed me to be so close and not make it, but I did my best to uphold to image of full figured fathers everywhere.

As I repelled down the wall I could hear the applause from below, it was mostly my family and those draw to watch such an oddity, but loudest of all I could hear my girls clapping for me and yelling "yea daddy!" Even my wife was proud. That made it all worth while. Another upside is now the girls and I have something to shoot for. I know it may sound silly but, if I had made it all the way to the top on the first try that would have been the end of it. Now, I have a new challenge with which to develop an unhealthy obsession.

Keep the faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home