Friday, September 24, 2004

Discretion is the better part of procrastination.

I am in really big trouble here.

Some time ago I accidentally busted out he taillight to our Windstar van with a lawnmower.

Yes a lawnmower! You see I was lifting up the mower to put it in the back of the van, and when I turned to put it in, well, I hit the taillight and cracked the glass. I have had red tape on it ever since.

When I called the dealership to have it fixed I was told it would be a couple of hundred dollars. Now, those who know me, know my cheapness has no limits, so I vowed to fix it myself. Unfortunately, the broken tail light looked too tough to take off.

Well, now it is much later, and my vehicle inspection on the van is due the first of October. I picked up the part at a local dealership today, and was able to replace to whole taillight in just under 6 minutes.

This is bad, real bad!

If you’ve been married anytime at all, you know where I’m going.

If I admit to my wife that I’ve put off a project for so very, very long ; that could have been done in just six minutes I will never hear the end of it. I mean, how was I to know the only things holding it on were two screws and six years of road grime.

Faced with such a dilemma, I did the only thing I could have done. I puttered around in the garage an additional hour and 20 minutes to draw out the task. Then I invited her into the garage to show her how I "saved our family" $130.00 by fixing it myself. Of course, I spent great detail on how difficult the old taillight was to remove.

I don’t think she bought it.
She is a lot smarter than I am after all.

Hey, at least it's fixed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I bet she is just wishing you had puttered around in the garage longer. I know my wife would!

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home